2016 BIWAKO PRIZE FOR ECOLOGY - THE 19TH AWARD - GENERAL INFORMATION
1. Awarding Organization
The Ecological Society of Japan
2. Description of the Prize
- Research area
Aquatic environments and/or related area in the field of ecology and related sciences
- Eligible Nominees and Qualifications
- A nominee should be an individual who has made outstanding research achievements. In the case of a collaborative research, a nominee must be one who has played a major part in it.
- A nominee must be a resident in East and Southeast Asia, including eastern part of Russia and western Pacific region, but excluding Australia and New Zealand, with high appreciation of his/her academic activities in these areas.
- A nominee should be under 50 years old as of April 1, 2016, because one of the objectives of the Award to support researchers with promising future as a central figure in the field of ecology.
- A nominee who has other award records can apply.
- The prize will go to within two awardees.
- Each awardee will be given a certificate of merit by the Goverment of Shiga Prefecture and the Ecological Society of Japan.
- Duration July 15, 2016 – November 18, 2016
- Application must be made using a designated “Nomination Form for 2014 Biwako Prize for Ecology” with supporting documents indicated in (3). The Form must be completed in English or Japanese. Self-nomination is acceptable.
- Application must be done by mail and reached by October 18, 2016.
- Application is valid only for the year mentioned above.
- Reapplying is accepted for those who applied in the past and was not awarded.
(3) Documents and materials to be submitted →Download
- Nomination form for 2016 Biwako Prize for Ecology
- Major achievements A (Form A)
- Major achievements B (Form B; Papers and publications written in English or Japanese )
- Copies of documents and materials given in Form B (ibid)
- List of publications (all achievements including ones mentioned in form B)
(4) Contact Address
All documents should be sent to:
Biwako Prize for Ecology c/o The Ecological Society of Japan
1-8 Nishihanaikecho, Koyama, Kitaku, Kyoto 603-8148, JAPAN
Tel. & Fax: +81-75-384-0250
E-mail: biwakoprize [at] mail.esj.ne.jp
(5) Number of copies to be submitted
A copy for each material described in (a) to (e).
All materials, including papers and writings, should be submitted either in English or Japanese.
Documents and materials are not returnable.
4. Selection of awardees
The Selection Committee will screen the nominees and the Steering Committee will decide awardees in May 2017.
5. Selection Criteria
The Selection Committee will screen the nominees based on the following two criteria.
- Those who have made “outstanding research achievements” in the relevant area conducted approximately in the last five years, which meets one of the following;
- Research achievements that will contribute greatly to the advancement of ecology, such as unique and original researches, development of new techniques and technologies, and important discoveries.
- Research achievements that have great potential to solve important emerging issues, in particular, environmental problems.
- Research achievements as significant as (a) or (b).
(2) Further achievements are expected through continuing researches in the future.
6. Awarding ceremony
Awarding ceremony will be held on July , 2017 in Shiga Prefecture. Awardees will be requested to participate in the ceremony and give a commemorative lecture for public in the related event.