The 65th Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of Japan (ESJ65) will be held by the Organizing Committee and the Annual Meeting Planning Committee as follows.
The Organizing Committee of the 65th Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of Japan
Tsutom HIURA (Hokkaido University), Chair of the Organizing Committee
Gaku KUDO (Hokkaido University), Secretary-General of the Organizing Committee
Official web site of ESJ65 (Japanese): http://www.esj.ne.jp/meeting/65/
Official web site of ESJ65 (English): http://www.esj.ne.jp/meeting/65/en/
For correspondence on any subjects, please send your questions via the inquiry form.
Venue and Date
Date: Wednesday March 14 to Sunday March 18, 2018.
Venue: Sapporo Convention Center http://www.sora-scc.jp/eng/index.html
|Wednesday March 14, 2018||Committee meetings, workshops|
|Thursday March 15, 2018||Symposia, organized sessions, workshops, forums, oral and poster presentations|
|Friday March 16, 2018||Symposia, organized sessions, forums, oral and poster presentations, banquet|
|Saturday March 17, 2018||General meeting, award ceremony, lectures by award recipients, workshops, poster presentations, poster presentations by high school students|
|Sunday March 18, 2018||Public lecture, symposia, organized sessions, forums|
For speakers and organizers who are currently not ESJ members
- Membership application (including re-registration of previously withdrawn members) and payment is due 15:00 (JST), October 23, 2017.
- For admission procedure, please visit: http://www.esj.ne.jp/esj/English/join.html.
For speakers and session organizers
|Proposals for symposia||closed|
|Applications for English oral presentations||23:59 (JST), Sunday October 1, 2017|
|Proposals for organized sessions||17:00 (JST), Tuesday October 31, 2017|
|Proposals for workshops||17:00 (JST), Tuesday October 31, 2017|
|Applications for oral/poster presentations||17:00 (JST), Tuesday October 31, 2017|
|Abstract submissions||17:00 (JST), Wednesday February 14, 2018|
|Oral presentation file submissions||23:59 (JST), Wednesday March 7, 2018|
We are accepting new membership applications (see below for the detail). Other applications listed above will be open approximately one month before deadline (see the conference website for details). No changes and additions will be accepted after the deadlines.
Deadline: 15:00 (JST), Monday October 23, 2017
For admission (or re-admission) to the society to give a presentation at ESJ65, apply for a 2018 ESJ membership and pay the membership fee by October 23, 2017.
For those who are already a member, payment for the 2017 membership is required to give a presentation at ESJ65. Admission cannot be cancelled, and we do not refund membership fees.
Please refer to http://www.esj.ne.jp/esj/English/join.html for information on how to become a member.
Inquiries about admission (for non-annual meeting matters)
358-5, Yamabuki-cho Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-0801, Japan
ESJ Member Service Desk
Hours of Operation: 9:00-12:00, 13:00-17:00 (Japan time, excluding weekends and public holidays in Japan)
Fees and payment
- By Friday January 19, 2018
- Regular attendees (including non-ESJ-members): 11,000 yen
- Graduate students (including non-ESJ-members): 5,000 yen
- By Friday February 9, 2018
- Regular attendees (including non-ESJ-members): 12,000 yen
- Graduate students (including non-ESJ-members): 5,500 yen
- On site
- Regular attendees (including non-ESJ-members): 13,000 yen
- Graduate students (including non-ESJ-members): 6,000 yen
Undergraduate and high school students (including non-ESJ-members): free (students must show their student ID cards at the on-site reception)
Note: The early registration fee is applicable to those who complete the payment by each due date. Please complete your payment through the online payment system.
- By Friday February 9, 2018
- Regular attendees (including non-ESJ-members): 8,000 yen
- Students (including non-ESJ-members): 4,000 yen
- On site (acceptable number is limited)
- Regular attendees (including non-ESJ-members):
10,000 yenDiscount Price 9,000 yen
- Students (including non-ESJ-members):
6,000 yenDiscount Price 5,000 yen
Banquet on-site application is accepted at the reception from afternoon, Thursday March 15, 2018. The application will be closed as soon as the number of applicants reaches the capacity.
- Regular attendees (including non-ESJ-members):
Note: Please complete your payment for the registration fee and the banquet fee at the same time as possible. If you need to change your payment, ask us through the inquiry form. Note that extra bank fee may be charged for a cancellation or additional payment due to the mechanical constraint of our online payment system.
Student rates will be applied to the registration and the banquet fees for those who are young members without regular income. For members certified as “young member without regular income in 2018″, please state that in the registration.
The purpose of banquet is to facilitate communication among researchers in a relaxed atmosphere. Banquet has provided valuable opportunities especially for young researchers to meet other scientists and gain new research opportunities. To meet this goal, we set banquet fees as low as possible for student attendees and ask for a high banquet fee for non-student attendees. We appreciate your understanding and contribute to participate in the banquet.
You can cancel the banquet free of charge by February 9, 2018. After that time, no refunds will be made.
Passport holders of China, India, Russia, the Philippines, Indonesia, NIS countries and other nationalities that do not have visa exemption agreements with Japan require entry visa to Japan. Check and see if you require visa through “Guide to Japanese Visa” at the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.
Note that the standard processing period for visa application is five working days. For the documents to be provided from Japan, the ESJ office will provide necessary support. If you require a letter of invitation to support your visa application, you must first register to attend the 65th Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of Japan.
Once you receive a registration confirmation email, please send your request for a letter of invitation by email to the ESJ office ().
The documents that are required for the visa application vary depending on the nationality of each applicant. Please check the following website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The ESJ office will only issue the documents, “Reasons for Invitation” and
“Itinerary”, for the participants who need to obtain a visa.
For inquiries and assistance, please contact the ESJ office ().
- Please complete the registration application and the payment for the registration and the banquet fees through the online registration system.
- Please carefully read the following explanations and the registration flow chart, and complete the application procedures.
- No changes and additions due to improper input or garbled characters will be accepted after the deadline.
- Organizers and speakers should register their sessions or presentations on the online registration system. Registered data will be used to compile the Program Book.
- Please refer this additional instruction for organizers and speakers of symposia, organized sessions, workshops, and forums.
Oral and Poster presentations
- The speaker (or main contributor at poster sessions) of each presentation has to be a member of ESJ. ESJ members should pay the membership fee for 2017 by October 23, 2017. If you are not an ESJ member but would like to give a presentation, apply for an ESJ membership and pay the member fee by October 23, 2017.
- Speakers should register their presentation and complete payment on the online registration system before the deadline.
- Abstracts (200 words for English) must be submitted before the deadline through the online registration system.
- Symposium speakers should follow symposium organizer’s guidance to complete necessary procedures.
- Symposium speakers are limited only to ESJ members who have paid the ESJ membership fee by October 23, 2017, except for invited non-member speakers approved by the Planning Committee.
- Symposium speakers must finish registeration through the online registration system and inform the symposium organizer their membership ID (or login ID for non-member). The speakers should also inform the title of their presentation to the symposium organizer(s). The symposium organizer(s) will submit the titles all together.
- Symposium speakers except for invited non-member speakers must pay the registration fee through the online registration system.
- Each speaker must submit abstract (200 words for English) through the online registration system.
- Speakers of organized sessions are limited only to ESJ members who have paid the ESJ membership fee by October 23, 2017, except for invited non-member speakers approved by the Planning Committee.
- Each speakers must register your information on the online registration system and inform the session organizer of your membership ID (or login ID for non-member). The speakers should also inform the session organizer(s) of the title of the presentation. The session organizer(s) will submit the titles all together.
- Abstract submission and payment should be done through the online registration system.
- Workshops are conducted on the responsibility of organizers who are ESJ members, but speakers of workshops are not limited to ESJ members. For people who participate only in workshops (including speakers), no registration fee is required.
Qualifications for applications
The qualifications for ESJ-members and non-members are as follows. The qualification for non-members is limited. We hope you join ESJ on this occasion. For limitation of duplicate presentations, please see the details below for organized session and contributed presentations.
|Speaker of an oral or main contributor of a poster presentation||✓|
|Organizer of a symposium, an organized session or a workshop||✓|
|Speaker in a symposium||✓||✓|
|Commentator in a symposium, organized sessions and workshops*1||✓||✓|
|Speaker in an organized session||✓||✓*2|
|Speaker in a workshop||✓||✓|
- Those who are currently not ESJ members but are to be a speaker and/or organizer should apply and pay for the 2018 membership by October 23, 2017. This deadline also applies to those who wish to rejoin ESJ due to failing to pay the membership fee in previous years.
Participating as audience
- Non-ESJ-members can be a part of the audience of any session after paying the registration fee.
- Please conduct the participation application and the payment for the registration fee on the online registration system. On-site application is also accepted.
- The registration fee is not required for undergraduate and younger (junior high school and high school) students if they attend as audience (No need for advance online registration. Please come to the reception desk at the meeting, and show your student ID). The registration fee is also not required for participating in “the poster presentations by high school students”. However, for students planning to give a presentation in another session, such as oral/poster presentations, it is necessary to conduct the participation application including the payment of the registration fee.
Registration flow chart
- If you are a speaker at a workshop or forum, registration of your presentation is not necessary. Your session organizer will register your presentation on your behalf.
- If you are a speaker at a symposium or an organized session (including a non-ESJ-member), you need to register your presentation and submit an abstract via the online registration system.
To avoid congestion at the reception on the meeting days, participants in Japan who have completed payment by February 9 will receive their name tags at their registered addresses. Please bring it to the meeting venue and wear it during the meeting. If you do not receive your name tag by March 8, 2018, please contact us via the inquiry form.
- Participants from abroad can pick up their name tags at the reception.
- If you forget your name tag, please stop at the reception.
- A Program Book (electronic version) will be available on the official website around January 2018.
- The Program Book of the meeting will be sent around February 2018 to all ESJ members in Japan who have paid the membership fee. Please pay the fees in advance by October 23, 2017 to receive a copy.
- If you are an ESJ member of overseas residence, you can pick up the Program Book at the reception.
- Non-ESJ-members can purchase the Program Book at the on-site registration for 500 yen.
Book of abstracts (HTML version only)
The book of abstracts will not be printed or edited as PDF. Only HTML version will be available in February 2018 on the official website including a mobile phone version. All abstracts, including those in the previous meetings are available on the ESJ official website as compressed ZIP files. After decompression, you will be able to browse and search for schedules, speakers and keywords.
Call for organized sessions and workshops
- Proposals for the organized sessions and workshops must be submitted by 17:00 (JST) October 31, 2017. The registered contents will be used for the Program Book and Book of abstracts. No changes and additions to the proposals will be accepted after the deadline.
- An ESJ membership is required to be an organizer of either an organized session or a workshop. Both sessions are about 2 hours long. The Planning Committee will not modify the contents of proposals except if libel exists against any individual and/or organizations.
- Individual abstracts of each presentaion in organized sessions will appear in the abstract page of the official website of ESJ65. Session introductions and summaries will appear on both of the Program Book and the Book of abstracts on the above website.
- An organizer or a speaker of an organized session may not serve as an organizer or speaker in a symposium or another organized session.
- An organizer or a speaker of an organized session may not serve as a speker of oral or poster presentation.
- In general, speakers of organized sessions are limited only to ESJ members. As an exception, one non-ESJ member can be a speaker in each organized session, but justification for the exception should be included in the session proposal. The exception does not apply for an individual who has served as a session speaker for two consecutive years.
- If the introduction or comment for an organized session has an abstract, the speaker will be considered as a regular speaker. Please see the tables “Qualifications for applications” and “Comparison of symposium, organized session and workshop”.
- For efficient use of time and space available, an organized oral session should consist of at least three speakers.
- Workshops have traditionally been valued in ESJ annual meetings as a means to promote free discussions on innovative topics, some of which can even step beyond the framework of ecology. However, workshops are not considered as an official function of the meeting, and those who only attend workshops will not be considered as participants of the ESJ meeting.
- The introduction and summary of a workshop will appear on both of the Program Book and the Book of abstracts on the above website. Individual abstracts from the speakers will not be accepted.
- A speaker in a workshop may have a presentation in another session (including symposium or organized session) or oral/poster session. However, the Planning Committee will not, in principle, make arrangement of the schedules.
- Since workshops are not considered as an official function of the meeting, we kindly ask organizers to manage the room responsibly.
- Workshops are likely held concurrently with business meetings on the first day of ESJ65. The Planning Committee will not, in principle, make arrangement of the schedules for those who are attendees of those business meetings.
- Proposals for organized sessions and workshops including their outlines must be received via the online registration system by 17:00 (JST), October 31, 2017. A proposal for an organized session must include a session summary, a full list of speakers and their co-authors, and presentation titles.
- Session or workshop organizers and all speakers in organized sessions should register as participants. Speakers in organized sessions should notify their membership IDs or, for non-members, login IDs to their session organizer.
- The registered contents will be used for the Program Book and Book of abstracts. No changes and additions of the proposals will be accepted after the deadline.
Non-ESJ-member speakers at organized sessions
- Organizers should enter the names of non-ESJ member speakers and the reasons for the presentation in the space provided for “presentation proposals by non-ESJ-members” on the registration system.
- Non-ESJ memberspeakers should obtain their login IDs via the online registration system.
Acceptance of proposals
- Proposals for organized session will receive higher priority over workshop proposals. In case there are not enough meeting rooms for the proposed organized sessions even after cancelling all workshops, we will decide the proposals for organized session by drawing lots.
- If the number of workshop proposals exceeds the capacity of the venue, we will first decline workshop proposals from proposers who submit more than one session and/or workshop proposals, and then those from proposers who submit a symposium proposal. If the space is still not enough, decisions will be made by drawing lots.
- To make best use of limited space and time, those who have submitted proposals for symposium and another session as an organizer are requested to not apply for a workshop. An organizer is not allowed to submit more than one proposal of workshop.
- Decisions on approved workshops will be made within about two weeks after the deadline.
Forums are organized by the ESJ committees and are aimed at inviting opinions on issues related to ecology. ESJ is addressing, promoting and sharing information among ESJ members, and developing agreement in ESJ by widespread discussion. Organizing and providing topics are exempt from the “one presentation rule”. Representatives from each committee of ESJ should apply.
Comparison of symposium, organized session and workshop
|Feature||Centerpiece, core topics and official function||Secondary to symposia; official function||Various topics and unofficial function|
|Time limitation||3 hours||2 hours||2 hours|
|Priority in the meeting||High||Middle||Low|
|Priority in the program schedule||High||Middle||Low|
|Involvement by the Organizing Committee||Yes||No (only in case of any libel)||No (only in case of any libel)|
|Organizer qualification||ESJ member||ESJ member||ESJ member|
|Presentation by non-ESJ member||Encouraged (registration fee may be waived for invited speakers)||One speaker per session but not allowed for two consecutive years (registration fee needed)||Possible (registration fee not needed if participating only in a workshop)|
|Waiver of registration fee for invited speakers from abroad||Yes, but only limited individuals||No||No|
|Presentations in contributed oral/poster sessions (one presentation rule)||Not allowed||Not allowed||Allowed|
|Presentations in other sessions (one presentation rule)||Allowed only in workshop or forum||Allowed only in workshop or forum||Allowed|
|Deadline for proposal||August 31, 2017||October 31, 2017||October 31, 2017|
|Deadline for registration including summary, titles and speaker information||October 31, 2017||October 31, 2017||October 31, 2017|
|Session summary and individual abstracts||Summary appears in the printed and online program, and individual abstracts in the online program.||Summary appears in the printed and online program, and individual abstracts in the online program.||Only summary appears in the printed and online programs|
Oral and poster sessions
- ESJ members are invited to give a presentation in either oral or poster session. Please choose your preference for the presentation style (oral or poster). However, due to limitation in space and time, we may ask you to change your presentation style (oral or poster).
- For assigning room and time for oral presentations and sorting poster presentations appropriately by the topic, we ask you to choose sections from the below list that matches your presentation when applying for a presentation. Due to application numbers and limitation in space, we may ask you to change your topic.
Plant community / Plant population / Plant ecophysiology / Plant reproduction / Life history of plants / Fungi and microbes / Landscape ecology / Succession and regeneration / Animal-plant interactions / Evolution / Bioiversity / Mathematical ecology / Animal community / Animal reproduction / Animal population / Life history of animals / Behavior / Conservation / Ecosystem management / Invasive species / Material cycling / Education and popularization of ecology
- A speaker (or main contributor at poster sessions) of each presentation has to be a member of ESJ (co-authors need not be ESJ members).
- Each ESJ member is allowed to represent only one oral or poster presentation as a speaker (she/he can copresent more than one).
- Oral and poster presentations are closed to organizers and speakers in symposia and organized sessions.
- These restrictions are imposed for sharing limited space and time.
Preparing oral presentations
- Oral presentations are given by computers equipped in the room in either Microsoft Power Point or PDF format. The use of your own PC is not acceptable. Procedures on how to register files for presentation will be announced in due course. Details will be posted on the official website.
- If you use handouts instead of a presentation file, please prepare sufficient copies. In that case, please notify in advance via the inquiry form.
Preparing poster presentations
- Each poster will be mounted on a 90-cm-wide by 210-cm-high poster board. Daily poster session will be conducted for three days. About 1000 posters are expected to be accepted in total. We may ask you to move to oral presentation if the applications for poster presentation exceed the capacity.
- Please bring drawing pins to stick your poster onto the poster board.
The Ecological Society of Japan (ESJ) will award young researchers presenting excellent posters. Please refer to the following qualification requirements. Details for poster presentations will be posted on the official website. Please prepare your poster, referring to the points outlined on the website.
Poster award qualifications
Each winner must be the primary author of the poster presentation. In addition, the following criteria will be applied:
- Undergraduate, graduate students, or scientists without a doctoral degree before October 31, 2017 are eligible to apply for Poster Awards in ESJ65.
- Previous poster award winners (including those from the joint annual meetings with EAFES) cannot apply for the award.
Poster award criteria
Below are the criteria used to select excellent posters. Please prepare your poster, referring to the points below.
(A) Clarity of the poster
In poster presentation, it is important to illustrate the contents of your research concisely. The following feature will be required: 1) Precise title, 2) Simple abstract, 3) Efforts to draw attention, 4) Efforts to convey the outline. Figures and tables should be easy to read from a distance and avoid information overload. Comprehensive outline without explanation will also be important.
(B) Quality of the study
1) Originality and innovativeness, 2) Quality and quantity of data, 3) Validity of analyzing methods, 4) Validity of discussion and conclusion, will be evaluated. We have excluded “presentation technique” which had been a criterion for judgment from evaluation since the 61st meeting because excellent posters are often understandable just by reading them. The increased burden on judges for the review of a large number of applications is also one reason for the change. For items which are difficult to assess by just observing, judges might evaluate them by listening to the presentation and asking questions.
As the ESJ is promoting international communication, we put an emphasis on posters that make consideration to those who do not understand Japanese. During the review process, only the contents of the posters are evaluated regardless of language. However, if two or more posters have tied scores, priority will be given to the posters understandable in English or those that promote international communication.
“Posters understandable in English” means that at least the title, introduction and conclusion are written in English so that the outline of the research can be understood by reading them, or by the prepared English translation.
If you have an English translation (document), please display it beside your poster.
English Presentation Award
The English Presentation Award (EPA) aims to promote English presentations in the ESJ annual meetings and to give all participants more opportunities to share scientific ideas with international students and visiting researchers in Japan. At the same time, the EPA working group gives students and early career members an opportunity to gain experience in scientific communication, particularly experience that will be useful in international meetings.
Eligibility and application
- Eligibility is limited to Ecological Society of Japan (ESJ) members who are students (undergraduates, graduate students and PhD candidates) or early career researchers who have received PhD, no more than 5 years before March 2018. Work weeks of parental leave or family leave are not included in this 5-year limitation. Past EPA winners are also eligible to submit their applications.
- All participants need to prepare their presentation with a time slot of 15 minutes, which includes approximately 3 minutes for questions and discussions.
- The winner will receive a certificate from ESJ and a book will be awarded as a supplemental gift by Springer Nature.
- All those who wish to be considered for the EPA must contact the EPA working group () at least one month prior to the ESJ official registration (October 1, 2017) to provide provisional information of your presentation as follows: 1. Title, 2. Names and affiliations of authors, 3. Whether you are an ESJ member or not (Yes or No), 4. Three key words selected from the list below.
The EPA working group will arrange programs based on the submitted information. We will send a confirmation e-mail for each submission. If there is no response within a week, please contact again.
Keyword list: Animal community / Animal-plant interaction / Animal population / Animal reproduction / Behavioral ecology / Biodiversity / Conservation / Ecosystem management / Education and popularization of ecology / Evolution / Invasive species / Landscape ecology / Life history of plants / Life history of animals / Mathematical ecology / Mycological ecology / Nutrient cycling / Paleoecology / Plant community / Plant ecophysiology / Plant population / Plant reproduction / Pollination / Seed dispersal / Socioecology / Succession / Urban community
- By 23:59 (JST), October 1, 2017: Contact the EPA working group () to provide provisional information of your presentation, as above. After this pre-registration is closed, we will arrange and inform applicants of tentative programs.
- By 15:00 (JST), October 23, 2017: If you are not an ESJ member, please note that it takes a few weeks to process an ESJ membership application. You need an ESJ membership ID when you register for the meeting. So, we strongly recommend you to complete your ESJ membership registration soon after your application to EPA is accepted. Please see the official website of ESJ (http://www.esj.ne.jp/esj/English/join.html) for more information.
- By 17:00 (JST), October 31, 2017: Deadline of ESJ65 registration and application for oral presentations. Please register following the guidance of the EPA working group.
- By 17:00 (JST), February 14, 2018: Deadline of abstract submissions
- By 23:59 (JST), Wednesday March 7, 2018: Deadline of presentation file submissions
- A few judges are assigned in each session.
- All presentations are judged and scored based on the quality of research (50%) and quality of presentation (50%).
- Best award and excellent awards will be presented to the first- and the second-place finishers of each session.
- All presentations must be given in English.
- Please note that we are more concerned with attitude towards science communication in English rather than English language skills.
- We expect a friendly atmosphere in English sessions.
Title: Life history of organism in extreme environment –hints to understand your neighborhood ecosystem–
Date and time: 13:00–15:00 (tentative), Sunday March 18, 2018
Venue: Conference Hall, Sapporo Convention Center
Takehiro SASAKI (Yokohama National University)
Gaku KUDO (Hokkaido University)
Takashi OSONO (Doshisha University)
Yuuki WATANABE (National Institute of Polar Research)
Yoshihiro FUJIWARA (JAMSTEC)
Nursery and family rest space
Day-care and family rest space will be open at the venue during March 14–18, 2018. Details on the available time and application procedures are to be announced on the Nursery page.
A competition of Futsal games, Ecocup 2018, is planned as a satellite program of ESJ65. Ecocup 2018 will be held on Monday March 19, 2018 (the day after the closing day of the annual meeting) at “Tsu-Dome”, Sports Communication Center of Sapporo City. Details will be posted on the official website.
Please prepare your own accommodation. Although there are many accommodations in Sapporo, make sure to book your accommodations early, for your convenience of access to the venue and also budget.
The Planning Committee is always open to your opinions on the meeting. Please submit your opinions via the inquiry form.