Decision-making Procedure for Emergencies at the Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of Japan
1. If an emergency occurs during or before the annual meeting of the Ecological Society of Japan, the Crisis Management Committee will be organized to consider and decide on the cancellation (including partial cancellation), postponement, or rescheduling of the meeting according to the following procedures.
Types of conceivable emergencies are as follows.
- Fire disasters.
- Large-scale earthquakes.
- Meteorological disasters: rain/snowstorms, floods, tornadoes.
- Man-made disasters: incidents or accidents that threaten human life or urban functions.
- Outbreaks of infectious diseases with serious consequences.
- Any other serious impact on urban functions and transportation.
3. The Crisis Management Committee will be organized by the following members.
- Primary members: President, Vice-President, Managing Director, Chair of the Organizing Committee of the Annual Meeting, Secretary General of the Organizing Committee of the Annual Meeting, and Chair of the Planning Committee of the Annual Meeting.
- Secondary members: Annual Meeting Administrative Assistant, Executive Directors (in charge of general affairs, accounts, and annual meeting) and ESJ Secretariat.
4. In case of emergency, decisions will be made according to the following procedures, depending on the availability of time.
- If there is an enough time, such as a case in that an emergency occurs just before the annual meeting opens, the meetings of the Crisis Management Committee (with the Primary and Secondary members) and the Extraordinary Meeting of the Board of Directors shall be promptly convened to consider countermeasures for emergencies. Both meetings may be convened jointly, but if the situation is considered urgent, the Crisis Management Committee meeting shall convene priority, and the countermeasures shall be reported to the Board of Directors as soon as possible.
- If an emergency response is necessary, such as a case in that an emergency occurs during the annual meeting period, four Primary members of the Crisis Management Committee (the President or Vice-President, the Managing Director, the Chair or the General Secretariat of the Organizing Committee of the Annual Meeting, and the Chair of the Planning Committee of the Annual Meeting. In case of difficulties, two members including the President or Vice-President from the four) will make an emergency decision to cancel, postpone, or change the date of the annual meeting, and announce the decision to participants in name of the President. In case that the decision is taken by two Primary members, the members who made the decision will call the other two Primary members to obtain their approval before the announcement. The decision will be communicated to the directors as soon as possible. After the situation is stabilized, an Extraordinary Meeting of the Board of Directors will be convened to review the countermeasures and process for the emergency decision.
5. The decision shall be announced by the following methods.
- If the decision is taken before the annual meeting opens, the information will be announced to the society members and participants by e-mail, on the official website of the Ecological Society of Japan, and on the Annual Meeting official website.
- If the decision is taken during the annual meeting, the information will be announced at the venue by posting notices, making in-house announcements, and using loudspeakers. In addition, the announcement by e-mail and on the official website will be posted for the confirmation. All participants, including prospective participants not yet arrived at the venue will notice immediately by this way.
6. Amendments to these bylaws must be approved by the Board of Directors.
- These procedures shall take effect from July 11, 2020.